TOPIC: THE PARABLE OF THE WORKERS IN THE VINEYARD!
TEXT: MATTHEW 20:1-16
• This parable is a Heavenly Kingdom Parable.
• It clearly demonstrates God’s grace which is an unmerited
• The Landowner in this context symbolizes God who is the
Creator of the universe.
• The workers in this context symbolize everyone who is a
steward in God’s vineyard.
• The wages represents God’s reward for His stewards working in
• The Jewish daytime is classified into five categories namely;
six o’ clock, nine o’ clock, twelve o’ clock noon, three o’
clock and six o’ clock. It starts six o’ clock in the morning
and ends six o’clock in the evening. The time is running fast
to the end of the age.
• Hire in this context means being called by God to work in His
vineyard. God calls workers into His vineyard, and He does
not appoint, hire and fire.
• Every worker or steward is privileged to be called by God.
God’s calling is neither by right nor by merit.
• God’s reward is by grace and it is not by wage which one
• “The first will be the last and the last will be the first”
is a figure of speech that symbolizes the humble stewards and
the proud stewards. God will always and continuously give
grace to those who are humble in His vineyard; hence, God has
preference to the humble workers. Shalom!